Thursday, April 20, 2017

Microfibers



I used to thrift on a regular basis and I’ve always had my preferred places to go. As my favorite store switched to a lower quality stock, I hardly visit it anymore. What I like about thrifting is that each item I see on the racks is one of a kind. And who could resist that? Besides, by buying second hand, I’ve been doing my part in saving energy and resources required to produce new items. It’s good to give a used item a second chance to prolong its lifespan. I was sure I’ve been doing the right thing.








And what about maintenance? I saw no difference for new items or old ones in this regard. When doing laundry, I save electricity using lower temperature settings. I also save on water by capturing and reusing gray water. I thought there wasn’t much else to do there until I bumped into guppyfriend and learned about microfiber pollution. With each washing cycle, microfibers are released into the environment. What guppyfriend came up with is a wash bag that wouldn’t let those tiny particles seep into the water to be discharged with gray water.


The more I thought about it, the more I started to see microfibers as a curse. I could only see 2 options as to how to avoid microfiber pollution: to use natural fibers only that do not harm our water ways as they break down or, to fundamentally change the way we wash our clothes and eliminate water from the process. And I kept thinking... "Would tiny particles coming from natural fibers make any difference for aquatic life? Should guppies be on a “natural fiber” diet?" Even if the technology exists for waterless washing machines, we are still a long way from implementing it. It seems that guppyfriend offers a simple solution to the problem. 


GUPPY FRIEND is a German startup from Berlin, founded by LANGBRETT



No comments:

Post a Comment