Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Grammar Rules


I love the ocean. It’s seemingly endless and can be unpredictable.

I love grammar. A wise man told me once that grammar doesn’t exist. That I found disheartening. I wish he'd said, "We do not know if grammar exists or not, but it seems reasonable to assume that it does."

Grammar is almost like a living thing; mysterious and messy for its own sake. Sometimes, there are no rules. (Plus no freedom in how to use the non-existent rules.) Other times, it fully contradicts its own rules. No one knows why, it’s just the way it is. 


Grammar is a repeating offender in making rules fly out the window. And no one can say: “Hey you, contradictory grammar rule, you don't make any sense," because it actually does. And everyone agrees on that. 

I love grammar. It’s so much more than all of its seemingly endless rules combined. And it can be unpredictable. Just like the ocean.




No comments:

Post a Comment