Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Too-Smart Phone


The call came from the salon. A. told me he was returning my call. “What time did I call you?” I asked. He chuckled. “An hour ago,” he said incredulously. I could hear him take a deep breath. “It wasn’t me but my phone,” I said. He was now trying to stop himself from laughing out loud. He thought that I temporarily lost control over my phone  which was the case – and he found it exceedingly funny.


As I left the house, I dropped my phone in my bag. With the contact list on display and his name highlighted, the dial button got pushed and it did call the salon. Being too busy, A. couldn’t answer it at the time. It would have been really funny if he did, though. It was just about time to make an appointment.







As far as I can tell, my phone demonstrated AI capabilities – something that not even the latest smartphone equipped with the hottest app could do just by itself. That’s what it did that day without any human intervention: dialed the right number at the right time and managed to get a call returned. I’m impressed.



No comments:

Post a Comment