Monday, December 14, 2015

Almost Perfect








As a native speaker of the English language, some of you might wonder how I can write complex structures and still make some basic mistakes. That's easy. When I go on auto pilot and just jolt something down thinking 'Wow, it's so darned easy, it must be this way.' it's usually not. I started to write this blog to hang onto my English and, at one point, I stopped worrying too much about it. That was the final push for me to write. My verbal skills are good, but I am not perfectMy real strength is in creative writing. I am my own editor. If I really start wrestle with a topic, it seems that my English catches up and gets better.

I have the skills to do some wizardry with grammar and yet, I can't help making mistakes. There are times when I can't see them so they stay to hunt me. It's a never-ending battle. And it's fun. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I understand now that I will never be perfect -- no matter how good I am or how hard I try. If I don't practice, I loose my grasp and get worse. I just try to push on. I try to achieve clarity and consistency and stay grammatically correct as much as possible. I can get pretty good at that, but it is time consuming and not easy.

There are times, when what I write is good as is and I might think that there is something still wrong with it. While other times, I just can't see the obvious. It always depends on the particular text. It's like ghost hunting. I might see a ghost where there is none or can't see one when it's right in front of me.

When it comes to writing this blog, I see myself as a street performer. It serves me as an inspiration. My visitors are passerby. Some will stop and listen and might enjoy my performance.


Note to self: write in complex structures


No comments:

Post a Comment