Sunday, November 24, 2013

Pobby and Dingan




"The secret of an opal's color lies not in its substance but in its absences." 
Australian Geographic, 1998


Pobby and Dingan is a story of two invisible friends and a piece of precious stone by Ben Rice. At first glance, I found the book a bit boring. And then something made me keep reading it. When I finished the book, I didn't want the story to end so I went back and read the whole thing all over again.


I've never owned a precious stone, but I played with the idea that the piece of plastic on the thrifted macramé belt was actually brown opal. I thought about how talented Ben Rice must be to write such a story, his very first work that not only won a couple of awards but was also made into a movie.


Later, I made a small inventory of some of my invisible friends: those I haven't heard from for a long time and some friendly folks I've never even met. It made me realize that Pobby and Dingan is one of the most heartwarming stories I've ever read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment