Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Out of Focus




I attended a fashion show last week. It was a modest event with few participants. The theme was the little black dress. Watching the show, I caught myself paying more attention to the movements of the models than the actual outfits. See my favorite dress, the body hugging one-piece that looked like a two-piece, on the picture above.

Later that week, I watched a couple of segments of New York Fashion Week. I was delighted to learn about the First Ever Plus-Sized Show. It made me think just how far our concept of beauty has evolved. I think the human body with its complexity and constant changes is such an ephemeral phenomenon that it's a small wonder in itself. Visiting New York Fashion Week would be a dream come true for me. If I could make it there one day, I'd love to see more new presenters including some of the models from Advanced Style. I've been pulling for them for years. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that it's just a matter of time and I'll turn into one of them.

Dear New York Fashion Week Organizers, if you are reading this, please make room for the Advanced Style Ladies next time. Thanks.


2 comments:

  1. Attending New York Fashion Week is also a dream of mine. :) I think the plus-sized show is a good sign, but I think there is a lot more work to do before body acceptance becomes widespread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let them invite us. :) We should go together. I do not think that my one-line request will rock their world. It's more like a message in a bottle. It might wash up on their shore one day.

    ReplyDelete