Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Happy Holidays!




The wings looked magnificent. I stopped in my walk to take a better look. From closer inspection, they showed a grayish discoloration. I walked into the store to ask for the price. I was told that they were not for sale.

The large wings reminded me of the swan I saw last winter. Later, one of my favorite fairy tales from my childhood would come to mind, "The Wild Swans", by Hans Christian Andersen. In the story, eleven brothers are turned into swans by their evil stepmother. What saves them at the end is craft, namely weaving, done by their sister. Her task is to make each a nettle shirt to break the spell. She weaves relentlessly by night. She has to face adversary while being accused of witchcraft. She is threatened to be burned. Sounds like one hell of a craft project. What saves her brothers though is not simply her weaving skill, but rather her endurance and sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment